Contact Thomas J. Hall
Email Paralegal, Barbara A. Newland
Thomas J. Hall, Partner
Tom Hall has built his career on service to the business community, especially as counsel to many of the area’s entrepreneurs. Tom has over 39 years experience in dealing with the day-to-day and transactional legal needs of owner-managed businesses. He has also served as counsel in numerous asset and stock purchase transactions involving small-to-mid-sized, closely held companies having annual sales ranging from $5 million to $150 million.
Tom’s counseling experience spans a broad range of the economy, including manufacturing, distribution and service industries. He regularly assists his clients in their business law needs in relation to contracts, transactions, employment and benefits issues, and tax planning for corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, family limited partnerships and family foundations. In addition, he counsels business owners regarding exit, succession and estate tax planning.
Tom long ago achieved an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating granted for competency and ethics in law. In 2004, he was designated an Indiana Super Lawyer in the Closely Held Businesses practice area. Lawyers awarded the designation are selected by their peers throughout the state.
Tom serves as one of Tuesley Hall Konopa’s representatives to Lawpact, an international non-profit association of small business law firms which promotes law practice management.
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, J.D., magna cum laude, 1974
- Indiana University, Bloomington, A.B., Economics, cum laude, 1971
- Business counsel
- Business formation
- Business transactions
- Business litigation
- Succession planning
- Tax planning
- Real estate law
- Health care law
- Business dispute
- Indiana State Bar Association (Corporate and Health Care Law sections)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association (Business Law and Law Practice Management sections)
- St. Joseph County Bar Association (Business Law section)
- American Health Lawyers Association
Tom’s long-standing commitment to the business community is evident by his dedication and participation in:
- The Chamber of Commerce of St. Joseph County, former chairman of the board of directors, now a member of its Legislative Affairs Committee.
- Former director and current member of the South Bend Rotary Club, and member of South Bend Rotary Club’s Foundation Committee.
- Since 2007 Tom has been a member of the BAC of the School of Business and Economics at Indiana University, South Bend.
- Member of the St. Joseph County Parks Foundation Board
Much of Tom’s leisure time is spent with his young grandchildren and the rest of his family.
Tom and Janet are also involved as church and community volunteers, including the Scholarship Foundation of St. Joseph County, the South Bend Rotary Club and the St. Joseph County Park Foundation. Tom has also donated or deeply discounted generously of his professional time to local not-for-profit entities, including the Studebaker National Museum and the Foundation for Hospice & Palliative Care, Inc., among others.
Articles by Thomas J. Hall
2012 Jobs Act: It’s Not Just About “Crowd Funding”
On April 5, 2012, President Obama signed the Jump Start Our Start-Ups Act into law. (H.R. 3606-2).
The business press is already replete with commentaries on the JOBS Act (“Act”) provisions permitting important securities law exemptions for a new vehicle, commonly referred to as “Crowd Funding” that is tied to a newly-defined segment of the U.S. economy – “Emerging Growth Companies”. However, we believe that one of the Act’s other provisions may be even more important in providing equity capital for small to mid-size companies through the Act’s mandated amendment to regulations under Rule 506 of Regulation D, governing private offerings of securities. Read more.